After watching some videos from Jeff @CraftComputing and @TechnoTim, I ordered up some cheap Chinese X79 motherboards off eBay. These motherboards are “re-manufactured”, meaning the chipsets are reclaimed from retired server hardware and built into new motherboards to help sell their massive inventory of used server hardware to homelabbers and consumers. I also picked up a pair of used Intel Xeon E5-2650v2 (8c 16t) processors and 4x 16GB of used DDR3 1866Mhz PC3-14900R ECC memory. In this video I do some basic benchtop testing to make sure nothing I paid for was DOA and explore the BIOS on this Machinist X79G LGA2011 Motherboard.
- 00:00 - Why I’m testing used Xeon processors with Chinese Motherboards
- 01:16 - Machinist X79G Motherboard Overview
- 03:04 - Cooler Adapter for AM4 Coolers on LGA2011 Sockets
- 03:46 - Noctua NH-U9S Cooler Overview
- 04:41 - DDR3 Memory 4x16gb PC3-14900R 1866Mhz ECC RAM
- 05:19 - Intel Xeon E5-2650v2 Processor
- 08:20 - Thermal Paste
- 08:40 - Installing the Noctua NH-U9S on LGA2011
- 10:47 - CR2032 CMOS/BIOS Battery
- 11:09 - Asenno 128GB m.2 NVME SSD HDD
- 11:33 - Zotac GeForce GT 710 PCIE x1 Graphics Card
- 12:12 - HDPlex 200W NanoATX DC-ATX Fanless Power Supply
- 14:35 - Hook up Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse
- 15:08 - Concessions for Chinese Re-manufactured Motherboards
- 16:04 - Power On!
- 17:16 - Bios Recognizes all 4 of my RAM Sticks
- 17:50 - Bios Power Management Controls
- 18:12 - Bios CPU Configuration
- 19:24 - Bios Hardware Monitor and Smart Fan Control
- 21:43 - Bios Recognizes my Asenno 128GB NVME SSD
- 21:58 - Bios Reporting Realtek Network
- 22:07 - Bios Recognizes Memory at 1867Mhz
- 22:43 - Summary and Conclusions
This video and description contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you which helps support the channel.
#benstechlab #homelab #x79
Posted By Ben
Ben is a software architect and developer who loves all things tech. When he's not at work he likes to play with computer tech, home automation and video production.